Sunday, July 31, 2011

Ernest Hemingway



"The writer's job is to tell the truth," Ernest Hemingway once said. When he was having difficulty writing he reminded himself of this. 

"I would stand and look out over the roofs of Paris and think, 'Do not worry. You have always written before and you will write now. All you have to do is write one true sentence."

"Forget your personal tragedy. We are all bitched from the start and you especially have to be hurt like hell before you can write seriously. But when you get the damned hurt, use it-don't cheat with it."

"I kissed her and saw that her eyes were shut. I kissed both her shut eyes. I thought she was probably a little crazy. It was all right if she was. I did not care what I was getting into. This was better than going every evening to the house for officers where the girls climbed all over you and put your cap on backwards as a sign of affection between their trips upstairs with other officers." - Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms.


*I needed a little Hemingway today. I sometimes forget that as much as I have things to say and write about, it's also important to listen and read the words of others. For you're only as good as the things that inspire you. The experiences you've had.  And the people who influence the inspiration and experiences. Even if I didn't have this talk with Mr. Hemingway on a park bench in Paris. I sure would of liked to knock back a bottle of Bourbon, listen to him speak, and maybe even flirt a bit with the man. Let's face it, there's something sexy about a man who is good with his words. 


Like he said, "Never mistake motion for action." That one couldn't ring clearer in my life right now. Thank you, Ernest (We are on first name bases) for your words, and the Bourbon.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. 
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

No comments:

Post a Comment